About Me

My photo
Carrabassett Valley, ME, United States
I'm Craig Marshall, an 18 year old ski racer traveling the country in an effort to qualify for the United States Ski Team.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Two Stupidly Long Days


Phew, where do I start. I guess yesterday morning I was in Omaha, Nebraska. I remember starting the drive in Omaha but after that all of Nebraska and eastern Colorado are kind of a big blur. A lot of corn, freeway, and nothingness. We decided early afternoon that we were incredibly hungry and after struggling to find any where with any food, stumbled upon Buffalo's Bill Bar and Grill in Ovid, Colorado. We figured that a small, down-home place like that would have some great local flavor but it turned out to be about as plain and boring as the town it resided in. We hit the road again and decided that on such an unbelievably beautiful day, we should stop and play golf. It was a quaint, little place that provided us with a great break after 7 hours of driving. I even got my first eagle after driving the 9th green! We continued on to the hotel where Will was staying for the night before traveling back to NYC. It turned out that the hotel reservation was never booked correctly and after credit card customer service people ruined my mood completely for an hour, I made the final push to Copper. But it turns out some people from Denver like to drive up to the mountains on a friday afternoon. So the ride took much longer than expected but I finally arrived, unpacked, organized, and crashed. Today was much better. The temperature was about 30 degrees at the beginning of the day and as I sit here on my deck, it's about 60. The snow stayed pretty good despite this, and we were able to get GS and Slalom freeskiing in the morning. After the crowds started to accumulate we set up some short radius GS gates to ski on Slalom skis. I took 6 runs and felt ok, it was definitely just getting the feeling back after a few months off snow. I was having trouble getting a solid platform at the top of the turn and when I didn't, the bottom of the turn was pretty rough. I skied on the new pair of boots with the soft cuff. I'm definitely going to try the older boots tomorrow. It was all in all a glorious day and I'm pretty wiped now. A little bit of dryland and some grocery shopping should do me well tonight. Farewell from sunny Copper, Colorado.

1 comment:

  1. Craig:
    I love having a photo on your blog! Keep it up! Thanks for continuing to post.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete