About Me

My photo
Carrabassett Valley, ME, United States
I'm Craig Marshall, an 18 year old ski racer traveling the country in an effort to qualify for the United States Ski Team.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Snow King Race 1

So today didn't go quite as well as I had hoped, but I'm not too down on the race. I drew bib 4, which I was excited about. In soft conditions like this, a little chatter to push against but not enough to be rough is what you want. I was happy with the way I skied, and ended up 7th after the run, but I really wanted to punch it second run and put myself on the podium. Running 24th, the track was much rougher than the previous run and I had a much tougher time. I leaned in on the third gate and struggled the rest of the way down, especially with the bottom section, where I seemed to jam every gate I saw. I lost most of the time down there and ended up 25th on the run and 14th overall, not even close to scoring. I hate blowing second runs more than anything, mostly because I pride myself on moving up in rougher courses where others falter. I also don't think it's a good sign to be messing up when it really matters. But I'll move on to tomorrow, and hopefully ski as well as I did today, minus the mistakes. I think if I do that, I'll like the result. I'd like to give a shout out to fellow Sugar Bowl athletes Mark Engel and Ty Sprock. Mark won the race and scored a 29, and Ty, in his first year of FIS, scored a 51. Enjoy the video!

2 comments: